Thursday 25 August 2011

A Double Legacy of Kindness by Patricia Steel

Chapter One:  New Town,  New Beginnings

Hi, my name is Patricia Steel and I'm Ryder's youngest sister from the famous Steel family who now are living in the lovely town of Twinbrook.  Upon graduation from high school, I was offered a position at the science lab in the small town of Hidden Springs.  It is a beautiful place with lots of little parks and fishing holes for those who love the outdoors.  The town also has a wonderful spa and some clubs where you go to meet the towns people.  I was able to find a moving company that was able to move the house I had purchased in Twinbrook and with the help of my real estate agent found a beautiful little piece of land on a little side street called Bristlecone Way and the movers expertly put my house on the lot.  There is also a beautiful little park next to my property.

Shortly after I moved in, Ryder called me to see if I'd be willing to take in a couple of house guests.  Ryder's pen pal from high school, Michael Cal, had written him to see if he knew of any place in Hidden Springs where is brother, Miguel could stay while going to school there as he had been offered a scholarship at the local college.  Beth, who was Misty's imaginary friend and had been made real, had also accepted a position at the local journalism office.  I readily agreed for any friend of Ryder's is a friend of mine and I also wanted to show kindness to them and make Miguel and Beth feel right at home.  Of course I had to do a little renovating to add two more bedrooms but I didn't mind as I couldn't have them sleep on the floor.   We've all become fast friends and I like Miguel a lot but will take our relationship slow as he is still in high school and there is quite an age difference but that doesn't matter when it comes to true love.  Beth is a sweet girl and I hope she can find her soul mate here in Hidden Springs as well.

In thinking about what kind of legacy I would like to leave behind, I think one of kindness would be important.   It is my belief that no matter what a person's social standing is, whether famous or not, one should always show kindness to their fellow humans and being famous does not give a person the right to snub or look down at others just because they are not in the same class as you.  I know of celebrities who unless you can impress them they will have nothing to do with you and I refuse to be that type of celebrity and hopefully will teach my future children to treat others with kindness and respect and to use our good fortune to help others who are in need.

Both Miguel and Beth have settled in well to life in Hidden Springs.  It didn't take long for Miguel to impress his new teachers and get on the honor roll like he was back in Twinbrook.   He keeps in contact with his family back home and was thrilled when Michael sent him an email announcing the arrival of his new niece,  Ruby.  Since he couldn't get away to see her in person, Miguel sent her a special doll that she can play with and maybe someday make real.   Miguel is also happy that his sister, Mitzi found her true love and is now married as you know to Zachery Jones-Brown.  We all send the happy couple our best wishes.

Miguel has some exciting news that he would like to share.   While he was away in France doing an assignment for school, Miguel was doing some exploring in the local museum's basement and found a beautiful rainbow gem.  He was so excited about his discovery that Miguel couldn't wait to get home to take it to the science lab.    After purchasing the special potion, Miguel gave the potion to his imaginary friend, Luis the next morning and poof,  Luis became a handsome young teen with dark red hair who has swept Beth off her feet but they have to wait until he graduates to make their relationship public.    Beth is now off on her first trip to China to see what treasures she can find there.


Chapter Two:  Move to Barnacle Bay

How do you like that,  we  were just getting settled into life here in Hidden Springs and Beth and I both got job transfers to Barnacle Bay.  After packing up everything and hiring a moving van, Miguel, Luis, Beth and I made the long trip to our new home.  We purchased a large cliff side lot overlooking the Bay and rebuilt our house and spent Sunday getting settled in and checking out the town.

Both Miguel and Luis have now graduated from high school.  Luis was voted most popular in school which is pretty good for only being in school one day.  Miguel's classmates believed that he was the most likely one to save the world.  Well I guess he can help me try to keep the mad scientists off the streets in his new science career.   Luis has enrolled in the town's medical school in the hospital and will hopefully become world renown surgeon someday although his main wish is to become rich and famous.  He also plans to write novels on the side for some extra money.




Chapter Two:  Weddings

As you know, Silver already spilled the beans on my engagement to Miguel.  One evening shortly after my last update, Miguel took me to the basement of the garage after the others had gone to bed.  We chatted for awhile and then out of the blue, Miguel got down on his knee and pulled out a little black velvet box that contained the most beautiful diamond I had ever seen.  He confessed his love for me and asked me to marry him and of course I threw my arms around him and said 'YES'.

Luis and Beth also have exciting news to share.  After some coaxing from Miguel, Luis finally confessed his love to Beth and they are also now engaged to be married.   Because we are such close friends, the four of us plan to have a double wedding at the new wedding chapel located in the new hot spot in town,  "A Taste of Italy" and invite our friends from work. 

A couple of days later we decided to have our double wedding at the new wedding venue at the new "Taste of Italy" tourist attraction in town and invited all of our friends.  Guess we should have checked it out first because the contractor for the venue did a poor job of building the place as the back entrance was blocked by a hill and the front had a drop off to the walkway that inaccessible, so neither our or ourselves were able to get into the chapel.  Our guests all left, but Luis and Beth along with Miguel and I decided to get get married in front of the venue at the edge of the fish moat that bordered the attraction with the little fishes as our witnesses.  The weddings turned out alright and both couples are now happily married.  We all went back to the house for a private cake cutting ceremony and after we each had a piece of cake it was time for bed.

Miguel and I have some wonderful news to share with all of our friends and that is we are expecting our first child.  There's no baby news yet from Luis and Beth but I'm sure that will change before long.  Miguel, Luis and Beth all go back to work in the morning while I'm on maternity leave.  In preparation for our new arrival, Miguel and I have already decorated the nursery and purchased a crib, toy box, and block set.  We plan to add a high chair and potty when our child becomes a toddler.
Chapter Three: Starting Over A few days after our weddings, Luis, Beth, Miguel and I decided to take some time off work and travel around the world for an extended honeymoon. We visited places like the Eiffel Tower in France, the Great Wall of China, and the Sahara Desert where we got to ride camels which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately the desert heat was too much for me one day and I suffered a miscarriage and lost my baby but fortunately the doctors were able to save my life and with lots of medical care and love from my husband and friends I made a full recovery. They say that bad news comes in bunches as when we returned home to Barnacle Bay, we found that our house had been destroyed by a tornado and that Miguel's sister-in-law had passed away in Hidden Springs and that shortly after my niece, Ruby was married to Dany Shue, their house caught fire one night and unfortunately there were no survivors. So that leaves Miguel and I to carry on the Cal legacy along with our close friends Luis and Beth who had grown up with the family and are helping us through this difficult time. The town of Hidden Springs was very supportive of us during this difficult time and with the help of Shue family we were able to have a memorial service for Michael, Jasper, Ruby and Dany at the little park across the street. Nearly the whole town was in attendance to show their support for which Miguel and I were very thankful. On behalf of Miguel, Beth and Luis we would like to express our appreciation for the love and kindness shown to us by the citizens of Hidden Springs which is a testament of the love they had for our family. After the memorial service, we moved to Riverview where Beth had accepted a new position with the local journalism office there. I was able to get a position at the Riverview science lab. Unfortunately, we also found out that our marriage certificates and Miguel and Luis's high school diplomas had gotten destroyed when a small fire had broken out in the records room of the City Hall in Barnacle Bay. This means that Miguel and I along with Luis and Beth have to renew our marriage licenses and get remarried. Luis and Miguel also have to go back to school for a day so that they can be reissued their diplomas. I think that we'll just have a quiet wedding ceremony at the house when Beth and I remarry our true loves as we all want to start our families as soon as possible. Well we are just getting settled into our new lives in Riverview. Our insurance paid to have our house and furnishings all replaced and we found a nice riverside lot located on Ely Road just past the small trailer park on which to build our house. Miguel and Luis will be getting their replacement diplomas tomorrow at the graduation ceremony at the Town Hall. Please join Luis, Beth, Miguel and I as we begin our new lives in Riverview as we carry on the Cal family legacy of a Stable Home in part two of the second generation while maintaining the faithful legacy that my parents, Keiler and Alicia Steel passed on to me. Guess that covers the news update for now and may you all have a great night!


Take care,

Patricia, Miguel, Luis, and Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment